Our intent at St Oswald’s is to encourage learners to become artists, fostering their creative thinking, developing children’s capacity to think, imagine, invent, design and enjoy the experience. Through the implementation of a thorough and progressive Art & Design curriculum our children will be equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills and cultural capital to be contributing, well rounded citizens with high expectations and ambition.
To achieve this, our curriculum will provide the learning for children to become artists who have:
• The ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
• The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
• The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
• The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media.
• An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
• The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
• Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
• The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
• The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
• A passion for and a commitment to the subject.