Our intent at St Oswald’s is to encourage learners to become designers, fostering their creative thinking, developing children’s capacity to think, imagine, invent, design and enjoy the experience. Through the implementation of a thorough and progressive Design & Technology curriculum our children will be equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills and cultural capital to be contributing, well rounded citizens with high expectations and ambition.
To achieve this, our curriculum will provide the learning for children to become designers who have:
• Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
• An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
• The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
• The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
• The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
• A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
• The ability to apply mathematical knowledge.
• The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.• A passion for the subject and knowledge of, up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.